Background: In the United Arab Emirates (UAE) the comparative prevalence of diabetes is reported as 18.98%, but there are very few studies evaluating glycemic control.

Aims: Our primary aim was to assess the level of glycemic control across Dubai Health Authority (DHA) points of care over the past five years (2012-2016).

Methods: This audit is a retrospective analysis of the electronic medical records of all patients who attended the Dubai Health authority between 2012-2016.

Results and Discussion: A total of 26447 patients were included in the study making it the largest cohort of patients to be evaluated for diabetes control in the UAE. Out of those patients, UAE nationals were 73.8% (n=19508), while the other nationalities accounted for 26.2% (n=6939). The overall mean HbA1c from 2012 to 2016 was 7.76%. Patients attending primary care clinics had a mean HbA1c of 7.64%, compared to 7.68% for the tertiary care cohort. Out of the total population, 37.7% of them achieved HbA1c <7%, while the majority (42.0%) had HbA1c of 7-9%, and only 20.3% of the total patient had an HbA1c >9%. Upon comparing primary vs. tertiary patients who had HbA1c <7, there were 40.79% and 34.87%, respectively. Moreover, the total percentage of patients with HbA1c <9% were 80.53% and 79.24% in primary and tertiary setup, respectively.


F. Alawadi: None. E.I.E. Abdelgadir: None. A. Bashier: None. M. Hassanein: None. F. Rashid: None. M. Alsaeed: None. K. Hafidh: None. M. Elsayed: None. S. Abuelkheir: None. M. Farooqi: None.

Readers may use this article as long as the work is properly cited, the use is educational and not for profit, and the work is not altered. More information is available at