Pluripotent stem cells (PSCs) express insulin receptors (IR) and insulin-like growth factor-1 receptors (IGF-1R). In human embryonic stem cells (hESCs), IGF-1R is necessary for cell survival, self-renewal and differentiation into endoderm. Data on the role of IR in hESCs is limited; it’s been linked to self-renewal and pluripotency of murine neural stem cells. What’s still unclear is the significance of IR and IGF-1R in modulating stem cell function, pluripotency and differentiation. We created murine induced PSCs (iPSCs) with double knockout (DKO) of IGF-1R and IR. Analysis of 4 individual iPSC clones from 4 control and DKO mice showed similar cell proliferation and morphology. QPCR of pluripotency markers showed significant decreases in Lin28a (p<0.005) and Tbx3 (p<0.0005) expression in DKOs; Lin28a protein levels were also decreased. IPSCs from both groups developed into embryoid bodies in vitro and formed teratomas in vivo, indicating equal abilities to differentiate. With directed differentiation towards a neural lineage, DKOs showed upregulation of neural markers Brn2, Pax6, Sox1, Ngn2 and NeuN. We next examined downstream signaling of IR and IGF-1R. Although both groups showed mTor, Akt and Erk phosphorylation in the basal state, mTor phosphorylation in DKOs was significantly lower (28% of controls; p<0.05). Total mTor and Akt protein levels in DKOs were also lower (31% and 59% of controls, respectively; p<0.05). Prior to stimulation, basal phosphorylation of Stat3 was evident only in DKOs. It was increased 3-fold (p<0.05) upon treatment with IGF-1 or insulin (100 nM) compared to controls. Stimulation with LIF (100 unit/mL) led to Stat3 phosphorylation in both groups; this was 1.5-fold greater in DKOs compared to controls (p<0.005). These data suggest activation of a receptor independent of IR and IGF-1R and/or alterations in downstream proteins in the canonical IR/IGF-1R pathway that allow DKO iPSCs to maintain pluripotency and undergo differentiation.


E. Okawa: None. M.K. Gupta: None. J. Hu: None. B.A. Slipp: None. R. Kulkarni: None.

Readers may use this article as long as the work is properly cited, the use is educational and not for profit, and the work is not altered. More information is available at