Diabetic neuropathy (DN) is a major complication of diabetes, causing more than 50% of all hospital accesses related to type 1 diabetes (T1D). However, diagnostic criteria are not yet standardized, and diagnosis also of symptomatic DN is often underestimated. Given the medical need for an accurate non-invasive diagnostic tool, we developed a test based on tracking eye movement for early detection of DN called Eykon. SRLab -Tobii TX300 Eye tracker®, an eye-tracking device, is coupled with a series of screens on a computer to test the velocity and accuracy of gaze movement in healthy controls (CTRL, n=30), T1D patients without neuropathy (T1D, n=19) and T1D patients with neuropathy (T1D-N, n=14). The screens are divided in 5 classes: Resistance, Wideness, Pursuit, Velocity and OKN. They aim to evaluate both smooth and saccadic movement in different directions. We evaluated a total of 483 parameters and observed that 27 (5.6%) were altered in T1D patients without signs of advanced DN at the electromyography as compared to CTRL, while 29 (6%) were altered in T1D-N patients, for a total of 56 (11.6%) significantly altered parameters (T1D vs. CTRL). Our pilot study demonstrated the feasibility of this non-invasive exam and its ability to early detect DN, despite the limitations of a small number of subjects.


M. Ben Nasr: None. E. Giuliani: None. F. D'Addio: None. A. Maestroni: None. V. Usuelli: None. S. Bianchi Marzoli: None. P. Fiorina: None.

Readers may use this article as long as the work is properly cited, the use is educational and not for profit, and the work is not altered. More information is available at http://www.diabetesjournals.org/content/license.